Old Dominion University
Despite its “Old” name, Old Dominion is a relatively new university. Established in 1930, as the Norfolk Division of the College of William & Mary, Old Dominion became a four-year college in 1962, with university status coming in 1969. In less than 50 years, the Old Dominion Monarchs’ athletic legacy includes three National Championships in women’s basketball and nine titles in field hockey. And the Old Dominion football team has achieved a 75% winning percentage, one of the best in the nation, since forming in 2009.
Nickname:
Monarchs
Top Rivals:
The College of William & Mary, Norfolk State University
Style Facts:
Old Dominion’s first nickname was “the Braves,” a nod to William & Mary’s nickname of “the Indians.” But when Old Dominion’s enrollment surpassed William & Mary’s, a new nickname was needed. The name Old Dominion is rooted in Colonial times, as it was how King Charles II referenced the Virginia colony. So in fitting fashion, the Monarchs nickname was adopted along with a royal crown on a lion’s head to represent that history and culture. Pride for the Monarchs runs deep, so much so that one of their own, the late Professor Robert McCullough, created the “Racetrack” logo.